How to Grow Sweetcorn Bodacious F1
Sweetcorn Bodacious F1 is a variety that requires warm conditions to germinate. The best time to sow seeds is indoors from March to early May using modules or deep pots (such as 9cm or root trainer modules) at a depth of 2.5cm. Keep the compost moist, but avoid waterlogging to prevent fungal issues. Seedlings will typically germinate within ten days.
Once the outdoor temperature reaches at least 16°C consistently, it’s time to transfer your seedlings outdoors to a warm, sheltered, sunny position. Before planting, prepare the soil by removing weeds and adding compost or well-rotted manure. Mulch the soil with more compost to retain moisture and suppress weeds.
Sweetcorn pollinates via wind, so it’s important to plant in blocks of six or more plants (like a grid, rather than a single row) with 45cm between each plant. To improve pollination, shake or tap the plants when the male flowers (tassels) open.
Sweetcorn Bodacious F1 cobs will be ready to pick from mid-summer. Look for dark brown tassels as an indication that the cobs are ripe. Harvest sweetcorn in the morning if possible, or submerge cobs in cold water for a minute or two to cool them down if harvesting later in the day. Sweetcorn rapidly loses its flavour once picked, so only harvest as needed and eat immediately for the best taste.
Tips for Growing Sweetcorn Bodacious F1
- Make sure to plant in a location that receives plenty of sun. Sweetcorn is a warm-season crop that requires full sun to thrive.
- Keep the soil consistently moist, but avoid over-watering. Too much water can lead to fungal issues and reduce the sweetness of the corn.
- Add compost or well-rotted manure to the soil before planting to improve soil fertility and drainage.
- To prevent pests and diseases, rotate your sweetcorn crops each year and avoid planting in the same location more often than once every three to four years.
- If you live in an area with a short growing season, consider starting your sweetcorn seeds indoors to give them a head start.
- For the best flavour, harvest Sweetcorn Bodacious F11 cobs when they are fully ripe. You can tell they are ready when the tassels turn dark brown and the corn kernels are plump and juicy.
- Once picked, eat your Sweetcorn Bodacious F1as soon as possible for the best flavour. Freshly picked sweetcorn is incredibly delicious and a great addition to any meal.
There are no reviews yet.